Monday, November 2, 2009

Rant on Transhumanism

This is weird shit, and this is what I think about it:


My scientific/intellectual rant

This is terrifying.

We, as a race, are incredibly irresponsible. Many new technologies have had devastating consequences, especially those attributed to the cause of "advancing the human race."

My most objective opposition to the idea of advancing ourselves with technology is that as we "further ourselves"--pertaining specifically to wellness and ... longevity... the balance of power and happiness across the socioeconomic spectrum becomes more and more askew.

With the industrialist movement, the wealthy were now able to produce unprecedented quantities of products and goods with nothing more than financial commitment on their part. The less-than-wealthy unable to take advantage of the new manufacturing technology would be unable to compete in the modern markets as businessmen and left with no choice but to work in the factories, where they would work, in some cases, 24-hour shifts with little pay and in unsafe conditions.

Our current health system nearly guarantees a wealthy person the best medical treatment, while the less-than-wealthy, once again, will not be able to so easily, if at all, reap the benefits of innovations in modern medicine. These are only two examples of those gross socioeconomic schismic imbalances that face our world.

But when it comes down to this--transhumanism, which is about increasing the longevity, evolutionary status, and raw capability of a person with what would be INCREDIBLY expensive technology-- we are talking about a society where the actual superiority of person, in all respects, would be based ENTIRELY on one's wealth.
Perhaps this is desirable to the "human race", but this is a tragic day for humanity.

My opposition is beyond hatred.
Ethically, I am beyond disgusted.
Existentially, I am beyond despair.

I also really don't want to become a hydrogen ion. On a final note, can you say "Bioshock" in bold capital letters?

My "Brooke" rant


I'm just going to preface this by saying that I have done zero research on this topic. I read maybe half of the Wiki page. So obviously, I'm an expert, and you all should take my word as law.

Anyway, this whole transhumanism thing is freaking me out because it is SO FRACKING CRAZY.
Can we just appreciate for a moment what the people who support this movement must do with their lives? They've got to all be miserable human beings if they don't believe that suffering and death have a place in life.
And I don't want those kind of people trying to make life "better" for the rest of us. It's impractical, for one, but it's also just dumb.

I WANT to get old. I want to get wrinkles and crows feet and laugh lines and I want to get sick sometimes and have to attend a couple funerals.
You know?
I want time to take it's course on me and the rest of the world. And what this movement seems to be trying to do is take that away from me, creating this creepy Utopia in which I'm not allowed to be human.
... Please read more
I like being human because it's insane and unexpected and exciting and really, really hard. I don't ever want to give up that challenge.
So hey, H+, go fuck yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment